It is the right of every daughter of Eve to have a thorough knowledge of household duties, to receive training in every department of domestic labor. Every young lady should be so educated that if called to fill the position of wife and mother, she may preside as a queen in her own domain. She should be fully competent to guide and instruct her children and to direct her servants, or, if need be, to minister with her own hands to the wants of her household. It is her right to understand the mechanism of the human body and the principles of hygiene, the matters of diet and dress, labor and recreation, and countless others that intimately concern the well-being of her household. It is her right to obtain such a knowledge of the best methods of treating disease that she can care for her children in sickness, instead of leaving her precious treasures in the hands of stranger nurses and physicians. AH 87.3
Give Attention to the Principles of Hygiene—The principles of hygiene as applied to diet, exercise, the care of children, the treatment of the sick, and many like matters should be given much more attention than they ordinarily receive. Education, 197. AH 89.4
With the above instruction we will begin by looking on the basic build up of the human body
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
God made man from the dust of the earth and man was made in his image
1 John 5:7-8
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
These verses tells us a whole lot about ourselves. First thing noted, man is a three dimensional being. We have a physical, mental and a spiritual aspects. All three complement each other. It is the physical that houses the mental and the spiritual. The wholesome development of each should be our study. God communicates with us through our minds and the mind will be affected if the body is affected. This should speak a lot to us, especially at this time in earths’ history.
We will now look on this make up. The basic building block of the human organism is:-
- Atoms this is the smallest particle of matter
- Molecules are made up of 2 or more atoms
- Molecules form organelles which are the microscopic structures within the cell that carries out its individual function.
- Cells, these are the basic building blocks of the body. We have over 100 trillion cells in our bodies. Truly we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Cells are composed of molecules and atoms.
- Tissues are formed from cells of which we have four basic types. These are: Epithelial tissues which makes up the skin and lines most of our internal organs, connective tissues, nervous tissues and muscular tissues.
- Organs are composed of two or more tissue type to carry out a particular function.
- Organs make up organ systems which usually are interconnected. They have a unique collective function such as circulation, respiration and digestion. In total we have eleven organ systems. Some say twelve. Twelve denotes God’s perfect government which is what the organ systems does. It regulates or govern our bodies. These all put together, form the human organism.
As we will continue to study this wonderful human machinery, I pray that we may realize that we are fearfully and wonderfully made.
Here is a quick list of our organ systems:
- The Integumentary System. This is the skin and is the largest organ that we have.
- The skeletal system which provides our bodies with shape and protects our vitals organs.
- The muscular system the largest heat producers in our bodies and enables us to move. We have over 600 of these.
- Circulatory system – the ebb and flow of our lives are here exchanged. The Bible says the life of the flesh is in the blood.
- Respiratory systems provides well needed oxygen to the blood and assists the body with throwing off waste. Spiritually prayer is the breath of the soul and scientifically it is proven that three minutes without air can cause permanent brain damage. Remember God communicates with us through our minds and the brain is also the oxygen hob of our bodies. How important then is it to breathe properly and most importantly pray more regularly
- Nervous system – information center of the body